Sunday, July 9, 2017

In My Home This Week (July 3-9)

In My Home This Week

It was a busy week at my house this week. We had out of town company for a few days and then my oldest son left for Boy Scout camp today and we were packing him up for that. I admit I've been pretty lax in the housekeeping department for some time, so a good portion of the beginning of the week was spent cleaning in preparations for our company. I'm very proud to report that the house is cleaner than ever (even cleaner, I think, then when we moved in!) and I've been diligently outlining a plan to help me keep it this way.

In other news, I've been becoming reacquainted with my local library. Over the past several weeks I've started several new to me mystery series, checked out several cookbooks, and have been studying some "self improvement" books. Here's what else went on in my home this week:

1. One of the series I read was the Darling Dahlia series by Susan Wittig Albert. It was a delightful series, set in the 1930's. Several recipes were included in each book and I've tried a few. This recipe is for a white sauce to put on barbecue, as opposed to the traditional red sauce.You may also serve it with chicken. It's delicious!!! Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp white vinegar, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1-2 tsp horseradish, 1/2 tsp ground pepper, and a dash of salt.

2. I bought some hair color on sale and colored my hair at home.

3. I trimmed my oldest boys hair.

4. I accepted an old, fabric covered bulletin board from a friend. I've taken the old fabric off and will replace it with some fabric I have on hand.

5. I'll be giving a class on wool felt applique to my needlework guild this year, so I did some research on a suitable project. I think I've found one, but just to be sure I'm making up a sample. I cut the pieces today with some wool felt I had on hand and will stitch it up this week.

6. I made banana pudding for a birthday gift and used the egg whites left from making the custard to make mini pavlova for dessert one night.

7. I purged and cleaned like a madwoman. lol

8. I went to the library twice.

9. I stopped by a thrift that I don't normally get to shop at and found two skirts, a top, and a pair of shoes.

10. I found rotisserie chickens marked down to $3. I bought 5. This was yesterday. Last night I picked all the meat off the bones and bagged up the meat and bones separately. I'm out of quart sized bags, so I'll pick some up tomorrow, divide the meat up, and freeze it. I'll use the bones to make chicken broth.

I think that's about it, though I'm sure there's more. It was a bit of a whirlwind!

Have a wonderful week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment