Sunday, November 27, 2016

In My Home This Week (November 20-26)



Hello, friends

This week I have been re-reading Laine's Letters. Do you know Laine? She is such a wonderful lady! How I would love to visit her. She is such an encouragement and inspiration to me as I try to stretch my dollars, be a better wife and mother, and work to strengthen my relationship with the Lord. As I re-read her letters and and her "in my home letters" I thought that I would like to do something like that here. Perhaps I will come upon something that will help someone else. In January, I plan to start the Vicky Challenge in earnest, and will incorporate that here as well. I hope you enjoy this feature. Here's what went on in my home this week:

1. I was blessed to be able to purchase four turkeys on sale over the month. This week, I pressure cooked two of them and then canned the meat. I was able to get 7 quarts of meat and a gallon of broth. One of the turkeys is currently in the oven so that we can have leftover turkey. The other one is in the freezer for Christmas.

2. My children didn't have school on Wednesday. I made them popovers for a special treat and then they did some outside work for me. We had a nice, quiet day together. Here's the popover recipe in case you're interested: Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Whisk together 4 eggs and two cups of milk. When blended, add two cups of flour all at once. Stir until combined. It should resemble brownie batter. Grease 12 muffin cups and fill almost to the top with batter. Bake for 30 minutes...no peeking! Immediately remove from the oven and pierce the top of each popover with a sharp knife (so the steam can escape). Enjoy warm with butter and/or jam.

3. My grocery store had green beans on sale for .99 cents/pound. I bought 6 pounds with the intent of canning them in pints. Well, when I went to prepare things for canning, I realized I didn't have pint jars. So, I froze them instead. I was able to get 4 quarts of beans.

4. I learned something new in cooking this week. I'm always hit or miss when it comes to browning meat. I learned that if you crowd your meat in your pan, you will steam it instead of browning it. I was excited to use this knowledge in my kitchen this week!

5. My youngest son, Henry, came to me with his shoe falling apart (the sole was pulling away from the toe). These shoes were just bought in September. Luckily, my husband had this same problem recently and bought some shoe repair glue. I was able to use this on Henry's shoe and now it's as good as new!

6.While at my in laws for Thanksgiving, I noticed my mother brought a pair of slippers to put on. This gave me two ideas: one, to keep a look out for a new pair for my mother as a Christmas gift and two, to get myself a pair to use in the same way my mother did.

Blessings,

Jenn

4 comments:

  1. Jenn, I can't seem to find your email addy on your blog. Could you email me at dixiedollmary@gmail.com with it?
    Thanks!
    ~mary~
    p.s. I can't believe you got your kids to do outside work! Lucky you! Those popovers must be very persuasive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty darn tasty, Mary! Did you get my email?

      Delete
  2. Dear Jenn, I am so glad you are loving Laines Letters! They do me a lot of good and they haven't dated. Years ago I read them as a young Mum and now as an older woman. So I get something different from them now. They are so good for me.
    Looking at our week is a great thing to do! You get a lot done in a week! With love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Annabel! Thanks so much for stopping by :) I just love reading Laines Letters! I'm reading them for the upteenth time, and as you say, they haven't dated. She gives such sage advice!

      Delete