Sunday, October 16, 2016

The Vicky Challenge or Saving Money in the Home (October 10-16)

I admit, I'm terrible about keeping track of what I'm saving. Many things I do are just second nature and I don't give them a second thought. Like cooking meals from scratch or coloring my own hair. I do think it's neat to see how much you can "save" though, by doing these things, so I am going to try and be more diligent about it. Here's how I saved money this week:

Made all lunches and meals- savings approximately $200 
Weekly cleaning of my home- savings approximately $120
Washed two of the dogs- $30
Not working a job outside my home- at least $100
Gratefully received a 10 lb bag of potatoes and a box of chocolate chip cookies from my MIL: $8
Gratefully accepted a bunch of clothing from my mom: $200 (at least)

Gratefully accepted a Dyson vacuum from my parents: 292.47
Saved $2.10 in loose change picked up from around the house
Savings to date: $1512.57

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jenn, All your cooking saves a fortune. I love that you got a Dyson! I love mine. I have one of the stick, hand held ones and its so useful. Someone was telling me about their work and some of the costs which included parties and presents and all kinds of things. I asked how much did all this leave them at the end of the week? (thinking is it worth it?) And they did not know. They actually did not know if their wage minus tax, travel, uniform and cleaning, childcare, takeaway and things to make life easier, the after hours drinks, pooled gifts for the girl having a baby and so on... equalled a profit overall or a debt. So there you go! I was guessing the answer would have been they earned pretty much zero for all the trouble. How depressing is that! So this is a very valid point you make!
    I hope you have a good weekend, with love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annabel!
      Thanks so much for stopping by! I love adding up what I've saved, I'm just very bad about it! lol! I'm hoping to start with a fresh clean slate in January and really keep track! And presents, also!

      Delete