Saturday, October 8, 2016

Playing with Pooling

Hello there!

It's been a slow week at my house. The most that has happened is some minimal prep work for Hurricane Matthew. At the beginning of the week, it looked like we would be bracing for a direct hit and were urged to prepare then. As the week went on, however, it looked less and less likely that we would get a direct hit. Now it looks as if we'll just get some tropical storm conditions later this afternoon and going into Sunday. We've lived through tons of those, so we're good! On the preparation front, I was very pleased that all we really needed was some drinking water (we have a ton of non-potable) and a few canned goods. This shows me that I'm doing a pretty good job of keeping my pantry stocked!

In other news, I haven't really done anything amazing to add to my Vicky challenge and there wasn't much running around with kids, it's just been fairly slow and quiet. I like weeks like this sometimes. It's a nice break from the usual hectic! Plus, it gives me time to work on craft projects! I'll be sharing more of them soon, but today I wanted to share this really fun crochet technique. I stumbled on it quite by accident on youtube and thought it was so cool I needed to try it right away! Luckily, I had some appropriate yarn on hand and was able to give it a go without going out and buying anything. The technique is called color pooling or planned/intentional pooling. Here's what it looks like:
Is that not the coolest thing ever? I just love it! Now, this is just a dishcloth, but if you used a different yarn, you could make a scarf, shrug, or possibly even a blanket. A few examples:

The technique is deceptively simple. The yarn really does do all the work. It is important to note that self striping yarn *will not work* with this (unfortunately!). Also, yarn with small, frequent color changes will not work. There are a lot of ways to get started and, if you're interested, I urge you to google and find what works for you. I watched a few videos before I found one that made sense and then played around with my starting chain when I tried it. Hopefully you will find this as neat as I do and give it a go!


No comments:

Post a Comment