Monday, September 26, 2016

The Vicky Challenge, Revisited

Patsi, over at A Working Pantry, has a weekly feature called "The Ways of My Household" where she tells what she did to save money during the week and frugal partaking. She notes her Vicky Challenge as needed. Annabel, of course, has her weekly Vicky Challenge feature as well and Brandi has her Frugal Accomplishments. I really wanted to participate in this challenge this year, but just could not get it together. In fact, way back in June I talked about it. Well, the time has come! I am finally jumping in with both feet! From now until the end of this year I will be making it a regular feature here and will hopefully continue on in the new year too. I am starting with a clean slate. I will not use what I had in June. I will not try and come up with some figure. I'll just start with what on last week and continue from there. So, here we go...

In My House (September 19-25)

Made all lunches and meals- savings approximately $200 

Weekly cleaning of my home- savings approximately $120

Mowed the grass- $40

Washed two of the dogs- $30

De-shed one of the dogs with a special tool- $30

Made the autumn wreath for the front door (minus materials) -$40

Not working a job outside my home- at least $100

Savings to date: $560


Along with her Vicky Challenge, Annabel also has the Christmas Challenge. This is another thing that I've been wanting to participate in, but just haven't. Admittedly, a lot of our gifts are store bought, but this year I am trying very hard to shop sales and shop early so that everything is done before mid December and also to supplement with some homemade items too.

Did you save money this week?

4 comments:

  1. ohhh!!! I love frugality! So are you saying that normally you would pay someone else to mow the grass, wash the dogs, etc or that if you had to have someone else do these things it would have cost $___ ? Hope that makes sense! I run these kind of totals in my head all the time. I will have to check out the other sites you mentioned as well! ~mary~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary!
      Yes! These are things that I, as a stay at home mom (although working gals can certainly save, too!) do to save money, because staying at home is my job (and a big one at that!)

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I absolutely agree with you as I am a stay at home mom also. I am so grateful to be able to be one. I was just thinking that if you add up all of the things that you do to save money each week the total is kinda like a paycheck... a savings paycheck! ~mary~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! :) It is amazing how much money others in this challenge have saved. I am late to the game, so to speak, so mine isn't a lot. Annabel, from The Bluebirds Are Nesting, has saved thousands, as she is repainting her house (inside and out) herself!

      Delete